Wine of the Week: 2009 Chateau Franc Mayne, Grand Cru Classe, Saint-Emilion

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant." - Robert Louis Stevenson

You know what they say, "you can spend more, but you will not always get more," never have words been more true or oh-so-accurate, as in the case of this gem. I had a hard time wanting to post this article, see I didn't want the word to get out about this fantastic juice, but I'm in a sharing mood for the moment. Since returning from my two week long introduction to Bordeaux in 2013, I've become smitten with its flavors and finesse. It's a region which offers which offers the average wine enthusiast a multitude of different expressions. At the same time they're also evolving, and until you take the time to slow down, taste its textures, flavors, and breath in its aromas, you may have a hard time understanding what it is, I'm attempting to communicate here.

I know that for me after my first exposure to wine, I was not ready for Bordeaux, I needed more easily understood wines, which required little thought or contemplation. In fact, I often thought, "sheese, what is all the fuss about anyway?” I just didn't get it, and I frankly didn't want to back in the day, when I didn't have much of a collection to speak of. But now, you'd be hard-pressed to drag me away from Bordeaux tasting, or an opportunity to make a few unbeknownst discoveries. I'm like a kid in the candy store; there are so many new wines and producers to discover, and the older the wine, so much the better in most cases.

Both Pomerol and Saint Emilion [right bank] has caught my eye of late, and I believe to the surprise of both Mrs. Cuvee and me. We had figured ourselves for more of a left-bank leaning inclination, but we have found the opposite to be true. Not that we'd kick a left bank gem out of bed, but our preferences seem to lie on the right bank.

Another stunner from Bordeaux, a wine with genuine soul and substance. If you'd a taste of authentic Saint Emilion style and class, this is your ticket to ride. From one of the more recent significant Bordeaux vintages, this bottle of Chateau Franc Mayne over delivers at the modest price of $45, you simply cannot get this quality from California in that same price range. After uncorking this gem, a brilliant canvas of taunt tannins painted w/ blackberries, dry earth, and ripe dark plums, and slightly dry taste of the skin. For best results, I'd recommend decanting an hour or two beforehand, as it evolves wonderfully with the proper amount of air. The finish is long and lasting, one you will not forget too quickly either. Until next time folks remember to sip long and prosper cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts